Though you might not realise it, Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) are everywhere online. We use them regularly when doing online shopping, reading articles, watching videos or reading social media. They are often used by websites to help speed up a web page’s loading of content. A CDN does this by shortening the distance between the website and the hosting server, thereby increasing speed and performance.
When delivering websites to a global audience, CDNs can improve website loading times, reduce bandwidth consumption and help secure your website and applications.
CDNs can also be used for business to business interactions and delivering content to consumers, as well as to help deliver powerful website content, mobile content, e-commerce transactions, videos, games and more.
How does a Content Delivery Network increase website speed and performance?
To reduce the distance between your website and your website’s server, a CDN stores a cached version of its content in multiple geographical locations known as ‘points of presence’. Each point of presence contains a number of caching servers responsible for content delivery to visitors closest to them.
A CDN puts your content in many geographical locations at once, allowing for extra coverage to your users. For example, when someone in the USA accesses your UK based website, rather than having to access your content all the way from the UK, the user can instead access it through a local American point of presence.
Your CDN doesn’t replace your web host, instead it adds an extra layer to help your website load faster. When you use a CDN it automatically copies parts of your website, such as your images, and stores them across a many different servers in different geographical locations around the world. When people visit your website, it loads from the server that is physically closest to them.
Using CDN for your website is the perfect add-on to your web hosting plan, which is exactly why we offer it here at Supersonic Servers.
What are the benefits to your website?
The main benefits of using a CDN include:
1. Improved website loading times - By distributing content geographically closer to website visitors by using a nearby CDN server, website visitors experience faster page loading times. As visitors are more inclined to come off of a slow-loading site, a CDN can reduce visitor bounce rates and increase the amount of time that people spend on the site. This can mean that the faster your website the more visitors will stay and explore your content for longer.
2. Increased content availability – The greater the amount of traffic to a website and/or hardware failures can interrupt normal website function. Thanks to a CDN’s geographically distributed nature, the can handle more traffic and withstand hardware failure better than many origin servers. This will help keep your website online and running smoothly as your business grows.
3. Improved website security - A CDN can help to improve security by providing DDoS mitigation, improvements to security certificates, among other optimisations.
4. Reduced bandwidth - Bandwidth consumption costs for website hosting is a primary expense for websites. Through caching, CDNs are able to decrease the amount of data the original server must provide, thereby helping reduce hosting costs for website owners.
5. Enhanced SEO – Increasing website loading times, content availability and security can all add to your search engine optimisation. Search Engines such as Google look for fast and reliable websites to list.
6. Low Cost – CDN’s are relatively cheap to install for your website, here at Supersonic Servers we offer them as an add-on to website hosting for only £11.99 per month.
In short, adding a CDN can make your website load faster for your users, lower your bandwidth costs, increase up-time, increase website security and enhance your website’s search optimisation. It offers a fantastic option for many website owners as an extra layer for their web hosting.
Lunedì, Marzo 4, 2019